India’s IREDA gives green energy a USD $3,5 billion push

by Dave


The Financial Express

Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (Ireda), an enterprise under the ministry of new and renewable energy (MNRE), would pump in approximately Rs 17,000 crore (USD $3,5 billion) to fund renewable energy (RE) sector projects during the 11 th Five Year Plan. The company would raise Rs 1,000 crore (USD $200 million) from foreign markets in the current financial year to finance the projects, a company official said.

Talking to FE, chairman and managing director of Ireda Debashish Majumdar said the company has been negotiating with several international lenders, including KfW Germany, European Investment Bank and Nordic Bank, to borrow funds.

According to the Planning Commission estimates, RE projects worth Rs 80,000 crore (USD $16 billion), which are expected to generate 15,000 mw power, would come up in the Plan. Of this, Mazumdar said, Ireda would pump in Rs 17,000 crore to help generate 5,000 mw power via RE. The company will extend its 70% of finance to wind energy sector while the remaining 30% would cover solar, bio mass and hydro projects. The company is also looking to issue zero coupon bonds to help raise funds, he added.

Technorati Tags:

TwitterFriendFeedDeliciousLinkedInFacebookDiggShare